Friday, February 23, 2018

Hidden Huntress, my review from 2015.

Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)Hidden Huntress by Danielle L. Jensen

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: One sex scene between a married couple that isn't very detailed. Would not recommend for younger teens.

Sometimes, one must accomplish the impossible.

Beneath the mountain, the king’s reign of tyranny is absolute; the one troll with the capacity to challenge him is imprisoned for treason. Cécile has escaped the darkness of Trollus, but she learns all too quickly that she is not beyond the reach of the king’s power. Or his manipulation.


Hidden Huntress was one of the books I was most eagerly awaiting to read this year. Last year when I read Stolen Songbird I was immediately hooked and loved it from beginning to end. In fact I didn't really want it to end. Hidden Huntress was a really good follow up and I enjoyed it very much, but not on the level I enjoyed Stolen Songbird, but it being a middle book in a trilogy that isn't really surprising. At times Hidden Huntress seemed really long and I felt ready for it to end about a hundred pages before it did. I think part of the reason was because I figured out who Anushka was pretty early on and thought that Cecile and Tristan should have figured it out too. Everything else about the book was great though.

I found the chapters from Tristan's point of view a bit more compelling than the chapters from Cecile's, and even though I was looking forward to Cecile taking the stage as an opera star I ended up finding those parts kind of a drag compared to the rest of the story. I mostly loved the scene with Tristan's aunt. I kind of missed the interaction with the trolls in this one, as there was not a whole lot of time spent there, but it was necessary to the story to leave Trollus mostly behind in this book so I don't count it as a negative.

Overall I liked this a lot, but didn't love it as much as Stolen Songbird. It was just missing a little something, and I feel like the series could have been wrapped up in just two books instead of being drawn out into three. At this point I don't feel compelled to read the next book, but maybe that will change.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment