Monday, January 28, 2019

Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra, #1)Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: It's been a while since I read this so I can't remember.



Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered — and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin.…

Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging.


For the most part I enjoyed reading Cast in Shadow. The reason it doesn't quite get 4 stars from me is because at times I felt like not enough was explained and that led to a bit of confusion a few times. I think way too much information is withheld from the reader and the main character. I did really like the different character races in this book and it seems like a promising start to the series. I considering continuing on to the next book, however I am hesitant after reading the descriptions and reviews of the next 9 books in the series. It seems like a lot of people have gotten frustrated with the lack of movement in character development and plot. And apparently this series is pretty void of any romance. That would probably be a plus to some, but not for me. As long as it doesn't take over the story, I like to have a little romance sprinkled into the books I read. There is apparently supposed to be a love triangle building, but according to other readers, 10 books into the series it is still pretty non-existent. So for now the next book in the series will go on my may-or-may-not read list.


No comments:

Post a Comment