Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4)Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language


 
For centuries, the Others and humans have lived side by side in uneasy peace. But when humankind oversteps its bounds, the Others will have to decide how much humanity they’re willing to tolerate—both within themselves and within their community...

This was a good addition to the series. I liked the progress that was made, but there were also some really slow parts where not a lot was really happening. That isn't unusual for this series though as each book has been like this. I think it's why I've been able to take a long break between books, but the story is good enough that I've still never lost interest.

One thing I really like about this series is how the shape shifters are more animal than human. They are not originally either shape, but the first shape they take is animal before they learn to turn human. It just makes the series feel unique compared to a lot of other urban fantasies I've read with shape shifters. There is quite a bit of comic relief involved with the shape shifters trying to understand the humans and that kept me laughing throughout the book. In my opinion a good urban fantasy needs some humor to balance out the dark parts.

In some ways it felt like this should have been the last book in the series, but there is still one more. I'm hoping for some relationship type resolutions in the last book. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end since there is a follow up series to this one. I'm interested in seeing how they're tied in together.

No comments:

Post a Comment