Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Grave TenderThe Grave Tender by Eliza Maxwell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Content: Abuse, rape, suicide, pedophilia, strong language


Endless questions from a shadow-filled East Texas childhood haunt Hadley Dixon. People said her mother, Winnie, was never quite right, but with one single, irreparable act, life as Hadley knew it was shattered. The aftershocks of that moonlit night left her reeling, but the secrets and lies had started long before.

When a widowed and pregnant Hadley returns years later, it’s not the safe harbor she expects. The mysteries surrounding a local boy’s disappearance remain, and the townspeople still whisper about Hadley’s strange and reclusive Uncle Eli—whispers about a monster in their midst.

But Hadley’s father and grandmother, the cornerstones of everything safe in her world, avoid her questions. If Hadley stays here, will she be giving her children the family they need, or putting their lives in danger?

The hunt for answers takes a determined Hadley deep into the pine forests, in search of sunlight that will break through the canopy of lies long enough to reveal the truth.





“I believe that life is full of tragedy. Some lives more than others. But I also believe that comfort can be found with the people who love you. . . if you’re willing to let them give it.”


For some reason, going into this I was expecting some family drama with maybe a second chance romance and an unsolved childhood mystery. That isn't what this is. The family drama is of a much darker, dysfunctional kind. There is no romance, even though the protagonist does sort of reconnect with a childhood friend. This is a much darker book that deals with some really tough issues. I didn't realize how dark this book was going to be. If you've ever watched the ID channel with the real life stories, there are two series on there in particular that this book reminded me of. American Monster, and Evil Lives Here. I've seen just about every show on that channel at least once, and those two feature the darkest and most intense stories. I have a hard time watching them and usually avoid them. Needless to say, I found this book a bit hard to read, and depressing at times.

I feel like the blurb for the book does not really prepare the reader for how dark this story is, so beware if you are sensitive to abuse, suicide (in the most horrible way I might add), rape, or pedophilia. I was a bit disappointed that the story just unfolds through flashbacks instead of an investigation the way most mysteries do. All that being said, the book is well written, and unfortunately for the most part, believable.

A couple of things I liked about the book were: the protagonist -I liked her and could empathize with her. And I liked how the book shows that you can't judge people by how they appear. Sometimes the monsters aren't who you think they are.




No comments:

Post a Comment