Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)The Wretched of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean



In the ancient and mystical land of Muirwood, Lia has known only a life of servitude. Labeled a “wretched,” an outcast unwanted and unworthy of respect, Lia is forbidden to realize her dream to read or write. All but doomed, her days are spent toiling away as a kitchen slave under the charge of the Aldermaston, the Abbey’s watchful overseer. But when an injured squire named Colvin is abandoned at the kitchen’s doorstep, an opportunity arises. The nefarious Sheriff Almaguer soon starts a manhunt for Colvin, and Lia conspires to hide Colvin and change her fate. In the midst of a land torn by a treacherous war between a ruthless king and a rebel army, Lia finds herself on an ominous journey that will push her to wonder if her own hidden magic is enough to set things right. At once captivating, mysterious, and magic-infused, The Wretched of Muirwood takes the classic fantasy adventure and paints it with a story instantly epic, and yet, all its own.





“There is wisdom in climbing mountains... For they teach us how truly small we are.”

I've been enjoying Jeff Wheeler's Kingfountain series and it's tied to this one, so I decided to read this it as well. Just like the Kingfountain series I enjoyed this one, but it took me a while longer to really become absorbed in the story. Lia is a great protagonist, and I liked her will to learn and better herself, but Colvin was not as easy to like. He was cranky and mean to Lia at times, but he did grow on me towards the end.

It seems Wheeler has a pattern for his book series in that the first book is always more of a set up for the rest of the series. The main characters start out at a young age (Lia is 13 here), and then there is a gap of several years between each book. I don't mind the way it's been done in the other books I've read, and I'm interested to see if the pattern holds true for this series as well. I'm also wondering if the relationship between Lia and Colvin will end up turning into a romance later. There was some tension there, but nothing blatant. Right now with Lia being 13 and Colvin maybe around 18 or 19 it would be uncomfortable to say the least.

I found the leering stones, and the medium in the book both interesting. In the beginning the leering stones reminded me of gargoyles, but then as I read they took on a more human shape. The medium was also a bit interesting in that it surrounds everything and seems to have a will of its own. It kind of reminded me of the force in Star Wars a little but more pervasive.

Overall I liked this and I would recommend it if you are in the mood for a simple, clean fantasy.





No comments:

Post a Comment