Friday, July 3, 2020

June 2020 Book Club: His Majesty's Dragon

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Content: Strong Language



Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors ride mighty fighting dragons, bred for size or speed. When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes the precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Captain Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future – and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature.

Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

 


“I should rather have you than a heap of gold, even if it were very comfortable to sleep on.” 


We chose this book as our book club read for June. I had been wanting to reading this or quite some time, so I was excited to finally read it. Overall I enjoyed it, but there were some parts that were rather slow and boring. I guess I was expecting more action in a book that is set during the Napoleonic Wars, that included combat with dragons. The best thing about this book are the dragons. I enjoyed reading about Laurence and Temeraire and how their relationship grew. There were some unexpectedly funny parts that came from Temeraire's view of things that I found delightful. But while I really liked this book, I'm not sure I would want to read 9 whole books about this, especially since I've heard that the quality of the series starts to go down after the first few books. I do own the first 3 books in the series, so I may come back and read those eventually.

As far as the book club went, I think most of us liked this book, and the dragon themed refreshments were a lot of fun to create.

Here are a few pictures:








No comments:

Post a Comment