Saturday, November 4, 2023

And Then She Ran by Karen Clarke

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller
Content: Small amount of strong language

 

How far would you go to keep your baby safe?

Grace bundled her eight-week-old daughter into her carry cot, opened the door and ran.

Her life in New York faded into the background – she needed to keep her baby safe. She needed to get as far away from Patrick as possible.

Now, staying in a remote cottage in Wales, Grace is trying to start again. But she can’t shake the uneasy feeling that she’s been followed.

And then she finds a note. Left on her bed. A tiny scrap of paper with scrawl in bright red pen.

Keep her close. Anything could happen.

She’s been found. Patrick wants his baby back.

But Grace will do everything to stop him.

 

In the beginning I wasn't as into this as the other three books I've read by this author, but after a couple of chapters that changed and I ended up really liking this book. It was a bit slow to get going for a while and the setting was a bit different here, as it's set in Wales out in a remote location. At first, I wasn't sure what to think of Grace's aunt. It was clear she had her own secrets, but she grew on me and I ended up liking her part of the story.  I did get a little frustrated with Grace for not telling her aunt about the things that were happening. I think, in general that withholding information is an annoying thing that happens in a lot of books. Lots of times it doesn't make sense, but despite the mild frustration, I could sort of understand it here.

Just like the other books by this author, I had this one figured out well before the end, but for some reason that doesn't bother me with this author's books. I just love reading about her characters, and I love the way things always end up in the end for her characters too.






No comments:

Post a Comment