Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Rimrunners (The Company Wars #3) by C. J. Cherryh

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Sci-fi, Space Opera
Content: Strong language, Mild sex scenes, Off page sex, Attempted rape

 

Loki is a mercenary ship and bounty hunter. Bet Yeager is a killer elite Earth Company Marine whose side lost. Now she is forced to escape aboard Loki, surrounded by enemies and hunting her old comrades. And the fighting skills she must use to survive may be her death warrant.

 

This is the third book in The Company Wars series and while I wouldn't choose to listen to the Graphic Audio version of most books, I had such a good time listening to the Graphic Audio version of this one. For some reason this series just worked for me in that format. The main character, Bet took a little while to grow on me, but she eventually did. I didn't care for some of the choices she made, but I could appreciate the circumstances she was facing were not great either. Once we got past the bad decisions and into the meat of the story, I was hooked. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the intrigue and the flawed characters in this book. The crew of the ship Bet ends up on are at odds with each other and she ends up in the middle of it. I liked the tension this built. I also liked the detail the author added in of life as a mechanic on the ship and the social interactions with the crew members. I really enjoyed listening to the battle near the end of the book. This is one place I think Graphic Audio really shines. I loved and all the chaotic sounds that came with the battle. I would have liked to have more at the end though, as some things were left unresolved. 

After finishing this, I looked for more of the series on Graphic Audio, only to find out that there are no others there. In fact, the rest of this series hasn't been done in audio at all. They haven't even been published in ebook form. That was disappointing, but I'm hoping they eventually will be.






No comments:

Post a Comment