Friday, June 16, 2017

Elantris (Elantris, #1)Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category:Adult
Genre: Fantasy 
Content: Clean



Elantris was a place of glory.

The capital of Arelon, the home to people transformed into magic-using demigods by the Shaod.

But then the magic failed, Elantris started to rot, and its inhabitants turned into powerless wrecks...

But there are secrets in Elantris, the dead and the ruined may yet have a role to play in this new world. Magic lives.


When I first picked up Elantris I was immediately drawn into the story, but after about four chapters it started to drag a little. I thought for a while there that I would probably end up giving it three stars. I admit I was impatient for something big to happen. However I did begin to realize that the part in the middle that seemed to drag was necessary for the rest of the story. There was a lot to be learned about the characters in the story from those pages in the middle. Eventually the plot did pick up in pace and I was rewarded with plenty of fast paced action.

One thing I liked the most about this book was that while it's fantasy, it is different from the run of the mill fantasy story. I liked the idea of the Aons and it reminded me of the rune magic used by the Sartans in the Deathgate Cycle, another fantasy series that I very much enjoyed reading. I’ve heard a lot about this book not being as sophisticated or well written as Sanderson’s later books, and that may be true, but this was the first Sanderson book I read and I liked it a lot despite some of it's flaws.

Visit my blog at



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment