Friday, August 3, 2018

Like Never and AlwaysLike Never and Always by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Content: Strong Language, Underage Drinking, Some sexual content and talk of sex among teens


On a hot summer night, a screech of brakes and shattering glass changes two lives forever.

Liv wakes in the hospital, confused when they call her Morgan. She assumes it’s a case of mistaken identity, yet when the bandages come off, it’s not her face in the mirror anymore. It’s her best friend Morgan’s.


Like Never and Always had me at the first sentence. It's a mild thriller/mystery that involves a bit of a supernatural twist and some romance. The best thing about this book to me isn't really the mystery aspect of it, but how Liv learns to live her life as Morgan and all the repercussions that involves, including dealing with feelings for two brothers, one that Liv was dating at the time of her 'death' and the other one that Morgan was dating. This would be one of those times a love triangle adds to the story in a good way.

The lack of thrills in this book may disappoint some people since it is billed as a thriller. Normally I would agree with that, especially since it seems like most thrillers aren't nearly as thrilling as they promise to be, but this time around I was able to appreciate other aspects of the book and that was ok. I do feel like there was a sub plot thrown in that should have either been left out or expanded upon because it got lost in the story. I don't want to spoil what it is but it's something we learn about Morgan's father near the end of the book. It felt kind of random and tacked onto the story to me. There also seemed to be some political bias that seeped into the story and I didn't really care for that. I don't get political in my reviews because that's not what they are about, and I also prefer my reading material to not be about that either.

Overall I liked this a lot. Some things about it reminded me of Parallel by Lauren Miller, but this is a lot better.

Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge for providing me with an advance copy of this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment