Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Hallowed Ones and The Outside


Since I posted my review of the latest book by Laura Bickle I thought I would post my reviews of the YA duology that introduced me to her writing. This duology remains a favorite of mine in the supernatural horror genre.




The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Supernatural Horror
Content: Non-descriptive sex between two teens, Strong Language


Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers can get a taste of the real world. But the real world comes to her. Rumors of massive unrest on the “Outside” abound. Something murderous is out there. Amish elders make a rule: No one goes outside, and no outsiders come in. But when Katie finds a gravely injured young man, she can’t leave him to die...

When I added The Hallowed Ones to my to-read list I thought it was more along the lines of a serial killer type thriller. Maybe something more along the lines of Witness, but was surprised that this was not the case. The killers were vampires instead, and not the seductive pretty kind either. For some reason they sort of reminded me of the creatures in I am Legend a little. It being set in an Amish community made it even creepier to me. There is that sense of quiet unassuming peace, of naivety, and of being separated from the rest of the world and what's happening in it that makes the story all the more unsettling.

Although this is a YA book, it is not for the faint of heart. There are quite a few descriptions in it that would be very unsettling for some people. I personally enjoyed it very much, despite the creepy horrific parts. I also thought it was interesting to read about the conflicts within the main character Katie, regarding her desires for certain things and her religious beliefs. I can't say I was always pleased with her choices, but they made sense being that she was coming from a very sheltered background. I am looking forward to reading the next book.





The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)The Outside by Laura Bickle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Supernatural Horror
Content: Non-descriptive sex between two teens, Strong Language


One girl. One road. One chance to save what remains…

After a plague of vampires is unleashed in the world, Katie is kicked out of her Amish community for her refusal to adhere to the new rules of survival. Now in exile, she enters an outside world of unspeakable violence with only her two “English” friends and a horse by her side. Together they seek answers and other survivors—but each sunset brings the threat of vampire attack, and each sunrise the threat of starvation.


The Outside was a very good conclusion to the story that began in The Hallowed Ones. I found the mix of science and religion interesting and this book was just as creepy as The Hallowed Ones. There was not quite as much description when it came to the gore in this book, so it would be a little easier for the squeamish to read. This concludes pretty well, but there is room for another book if the author ever wants to add to the story.

If you're looking for a good creepy YA supernatural horror story, try this duology. I would love to read more YA from this author.






No comments:

Post a Comment