Sunday, September 6, 2020

Sometimes I Lie

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: adult
Genre: Mystery, psychological suspense
Content: Strong language, Sexual assault, A rape done off page, An on page rape with some disgusting details



My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?


“We are all just ghosts of the people we hoped that we were and counterfeit replicas of the people we wanted to be.” 

At times I found this book confusing, but the twists and turns were good! This is one of those books where you really have to pay attention to what you're reading. I think if I had read the print version, instead of listening to the audio it might have been easier for me, but the audio was very well done. 

I don't typically read books with unreliable narrators, those can be hard for me to like because I naturally want to like and trust the main character. I knew when I added this to my reading list that it would be a gamble, so I'm glad I ended up mostly liking the way it was written. I will say one thing I didn't like about the writing was that there is too much whining and feeling sorry for oneself in this book, but then people like the character in this book do that.

This is the kind of book that makes you think for a while after you've finished it. It kept me guessing pretty much the whole time. There are still some things that I'm wondering about. If you like books with everything answered in the end, then this might not be for you, but if you like weird psychological suspense that leaves you wondering just a bit, then it might be right up your alley.




No comments:

Post a Comment