Thursday, September 17, 2020

unRepentant (The Birthright Series Book 6) by Bridget E. Baker

  53645146. sy475
 
 My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Content: Clean

 
Inara, sick of playing the pawn, has decided to up her game. But not all of her new decisions have been positive, and one misstep can have far reaching consequences. Will Inara play nicely, or bring down the entire family in her fury?

When you've already lost everything that matters...

Inara devoted more than two hundred years of her life to serving Alamecha. She gave up on her epic love. She lost her best friend. She protected her sisters, even as they stole her birthright. Her siblings made error after error, and Inara patiently cleaned up their mistakes.

Gambling over the future of the world isn't daunting.

But when a critical piece of the past comes to light, Inara realizes she sacrificed in vain. Now that she finally knows the truth, Inara is done playing janitor. She's never serving anyone else again. Inara will do whatever it takes to secure the throne for herself--even if that means destroying her mother's legacy.


Going into this book I wasn't sure how I would feel about a book from Inara's point of view. Let me just say, that this ended up being one of the best books in the series! I read most of it in one night, and because I just couldn't put it down, I ended up not going to sleep until 3 0'clock in the morning! Part of the reason for that is the fact that so many things are revealed in this book that I've been waiting for answers for. Another part is that I genuinely liked Inara for most of the book. And of course there is always the fact that Bridget Baker does such a good job at sucking me into her stories.

The scope of this book is huge. Many years are covered, and we get so much background on Inara and some of the other characters. I loved that about the book. I thought Inara's character was well developed and it made sense why she made all the choices she made, even if I didn't agree with all of them. I understood how she got from point A to point B in her life, and I had sympathy for her up to a point. My one little quibble is the insta-love thing that happens at one point in the book. I do need to add that I have since finished this series, and after reading the next book and learning more about how the berserker thing works and how certain feelings can happen for certain reasons, the insta-love made more sense, but at the time I read this I just didn't understand it, and I spent a good part of the book in disbelief. Despite that, I feel like overall this was an excellent book, and after finishing it I had to immediately start the next one! 
 
Thanks to the author for providing me with an ARC of this book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment