Monday, December 4, 2023

The Girl Upstairs by Georgina Lees

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller
Content: Strong Language

 

How well do you know your neighbour?
Would you trust them with your life?

I heard Emily before I saw her. The harsh smack of heels against cheap wooden floorboards. The loud phone calls. The incessant music.

I knew Emily before I met her. Discarded receipts in our communal hallway. Sticky leftovers in the shared food waste bin. Wine shop vouchers in the letterbox.

Now she’s gone missing, and I’m the only one who can find her. The only one who can save her.

Because I know her best, and I heard everything.

The Girl Upstairs is a spine-tingling psychological thriller of grief and obsession that explores how lonely London can be and how sometimes it’s our neighbours who see us most, who know us best…


This is the first book I've read by this author and I enjoyed it enough to want to read her other books. It started off a little rocky for me. At first I didn't like the main character, Suzie all that much, but that gradually changed as I continued to read the book. I also didn't like Emily, the girl that lived upstairs, but for a completely different reason. That also changed as I read. The story goes at a slow pace and there were no real big twists or revelations that I didn't see coming, but it worked for me. My favorite character ended up being the main character's sister. I loved the way she helped, protected, and defended Suzie. 

Lately, I feel like I've been on a real winning streak with the psychological suspense books I've chosen, and I'm glad to have found some books by authors that I enjoy reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment