Friday, December 8, 2023

The Survivors by Jane Harper

  

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Thriller
Content: Strong language

 

Coming home dredges up deeply buried secrets...

Kieran Elliott's life changed forever on the day a reckless mistake led to devastating consequences.

The guilt that still haunts him resurfaces during a visit with his young family to the small coastal community he once called home.

Kieran's parents are struggling in a town where fortunes are forged by the sea. Between them all is his absent brother, Finn.

When a body is discovered on the beach, long-held secrets threaten to emerge. A sunken wreck, a missing girl, and questions that have never washed away...

 

This is one of those mysteries where the protagonist has been living away from home for some years and goes back to visit, only to be caught up in murder and mysterious happenings that involve old friends and childhood secrets. It's a formula I like most of the time, and it worked pretty well here. I'm a fan of this author's writing style, but I didn't like this one quite as much as I liked her Aaron Falk books, but this was still a very enjoyable read that kept me guessing the whole time. I don't think there was anyone in this book that I didn't suspect at some point. I really liked the main character Kieran and felt for him with the emotional baggage he carried around for so many years. I got angry at a few people in this book that let him carry it around too. I will say that I think the whole reason behind the murder was a little weak, but enjoyed trying to piece together the clues in this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment