Tuesday, December 19, 2023

The Reformer (Power of the Matchmaker #12) by Jaima Fixsen

  

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Romance, Historical romance
Content:
Some sexual innuendo

 

Love at first sight...
Mary Buchanan is a quiet dreamer, fetching pills for her aunt, and soothing her father's monumental temper—which only gets worse when a radical journalist takes the house next door. Clearly, Mr. Samuel Brown will be nothing but trouble.
But when Mary meets him, locked out of her home and caught in the rain, she instantly falls for the handsome reformer. Together, they could have the happily ever after they’ve both longed for… if she can just get him to realize it.
Mary Buchanan isn’t keeping quiet anymore.

 

DNF at 44%. I've read other books by this author and liked them, but I couldn't get into this one. I didn't care for any of the characters and there was no chemistry between the possible love interests. I was expecting a more mature main character, but this one was 17 and this felt very YA in some ways, with the main character obsessing over an older man. It was also a little off-putting the way the older man first encounters her and all that happened after he rescued her from standing out in the rain. Add in his grumpy best friend, who I suspect will become another love interest later on, and her overbearing, over protective father, and I just didn't enjoy reading this very much at all. Maybe it would have improved if I had stuck with it a little longer, but from the beginning, this book just felt off to me, and I have many other books I could be spending my time on. 
 
This is part of a companion series by different authors, of standalone romance novels with a matchmaker that is the one continuous thread. I haven't read the other books in the series but I do have a couple of the others on my to-read list. I'm hoping those are better than this one.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment