Thursday, December 21, 2023

After the Party by Georgina Lees

   

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller
Content: Strong language

 

He should have chosen me.
I never should have chosen him.

Lizzie has been in love with her colleague Dean for three years but he’s never given her a second glance.

When a job offer in London promises to launch her art career she finally feels ready to upend her life in pursuit of her dream … until the night of the office Christmas party when Dean confesses his love for someone else – Rebecca, one of Lizzie’s closest friends.

A few days later, the police show up on her doorstep.

Rebecca is missing.


After reading The Girl Upstairs, I really wanted to try another book by this author. As I said in my review for that book, I liked the way the author was able to write characters that, in the beginning weren't very likable, but then grew into likable characters that I understood. While that book had a main character who was reclusive, this one had a main character who was obsessed with a coworker. I liked that this author writes these types of flawed characters, but in this case it didn't work for me, and the main reason it didn't work for me was because there was no growth. I just wanted Lizzie to realize some things about herself and make a change, but Lizzie was never strong enough to really be her own person, and that was sad. 

I also felt like this book was more predictable. I figured out what had happened and why well before the end, and speaking of the end, that was a terrible ending! I disliked who she ended up with in the end, and I didn't like that certain things were swept under the rug. Despite disliking this book, I'll probably still read the other book on my to-read list by this author.






No comments:

Post a Comment