Thursday, May 25, 2017

Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14)Cold Days by Jim Butcher

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Content: Strong Language


***This review contains a spoiler for the previous book in the series*** 


Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…


As usual for a Dresden book Cold Days has some surprising twists. I'm not sure how I feel about all of them. This one did seem to drag on at the end. It was still highly enjoyable even with my little complaints, but I guess I was expecting more character and relationship development in this one than we got. Especially since the last book Harry went around as a ghost and everyone thought he was dead. I understand that a book series needs to have things shaken up from time to time to keep it fresh, but I can't help missing the sub-basement, Mister the cat, and even the blue beetle. For me, they had just become staples of a Dresden book. Can you tell I don't deal well with changes?

That being said, I am not opposed to all of the changes and will even, I'm sure, get used to the ones I don't particularly like. It will just take time. Maybe I'm feeling exactly the way Harry does. I guess I was just expecting to be over it by now and to have moved on more. I would also have liked more progress in the over-arching plot. This was one of my least favorites of the series, but it still wasn't bad.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment