Thursday, May 11, 2017

Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery, #20)Murder in the Bowery by Victoria Thompson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Mystery
Content: Clean


The latest Gaslight Mystery finds Sarah and Frank Malloy searching for a connection between a murdered newsie and a high society woman with dangerous habits.

What was a young society woman doing slumming in the Bowery? That's what Frank and Sarah want to know after her body is discovered there. In the beginning Frank is hired to find a missing 13 year old boy but he and Gino end up trying to find out if there is a connection to the death of the young woman. This murder mystery ended up having quite a few twists and turns and I was surprised that it kept me guessing about some of them.

The subplot of Sarah establishing the hospital that was started in the last book progresses here and I like what this could bring to future books in the series. It reminds me a lot of what Hester does in the William Monk series by Anne Perry. I liked the talks that Sarah and Malloy had while in their private sitting room. They added a bit of playfulness to the book and gave us a tiny bit of insight into the romantic side of their relationship. I would have liked a little bit more though. I also enjoyed the historical details about the newsies and the newspaper strike, and the orphan trains that were included in the book. Overall this was a good addition to the series.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment