Monday, May 29, 2017

Haven of Swans: A Rock Harbor NovelHaven of Swans: A Rock Harbor Novel by Colleen Coble

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult, Christian
Genre: Mystery, Suspense
Content: Clean


A beautiful woman stands by the side of the road, barefoot and bleeding, a child in her arms. Someone just tried to kill her, but she wouldn't recognize him if she saw his face. She doesn't even remember her own name.

I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher Thomas Nelson Fiction for giving me a copy of this book.

Haven of Swans is the first book I've read by Colleen Coble and I liked it. It's Christian Fiction, but not overtly so which I liked. The message was there, but it didn't overshadow the story and wasn't preachy. I didn't realize when I requested this book that it was the fourth book in a series, but it didn't seem to matter much. It stood on it's own and was a complete story.

I thought the mystery was ok, but there were too many big coincidences and the end felt a little anticlimactic. What a way to die though. I almost thought it was funny. I was also disappointed that I guessed who the killer was pretty early on. It wasn't glaringly obvious, but I think anyone who reads a lot of mystery will pick up on the little clues that were left here and there. The good thing is that I wouldn't have expected the characters in the book to know who it was so easily, so I didn't feel like they were dumbed down.

I'm interested in this author and this series and I'll probably end up reading more books from it eventually. I would also like to read some of the other books the author has written that are not a part of this series.

Just on a side note here- I thought it was an interesting coincidence that I got two different books from NetGalley that I read back to back (see The Marsh King's Daughter ) that were set in the UP of Michigan, and they both had covers involving water, and were mysteries that featured killers.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment