Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Girl With All the GiftsThe Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Category: Adult
Genre: Post Apocalyptic, Horror
Content: Strong Language, implied sex
  

Melanie is a very special girl...

The description of The Girl With All the Gifts doesn't really tell you what it's about. I had an idea of what I thought it would be about when I read the description, but I was wrong. By the time I actually started reading it however, I had looked at reviews and knew that ahead of time. I have to say I really enjoyed the first part of this book. The beginning when they were in the compound was a lot better than the rest of the book. Once they left the compound it lost something. I think mainly because the focus shifted from Melanie and her perspective too much.

I really wasn't sure who to like in this. I liked Melanie despite what she was and I liked Miss Justineau even though she was probably foolish in trusting Melanie and feeling sorry for her. I couldn't like Parks, there were too many objectionable things about him. His attraction to Justineau was kind of creepy the way it was portrayed. There was this random paragraph about how he had seen her crotch while she was squatting to pee but was too tired to even masturbate. Um ok... he is obviously spying on her while she pees and gets turned on by it, gross! Somehow he grew on me a little by the end of the book, but it was too little too late. Then there was the crazy mad scientist lady who sometimes seemed to have more sense than any of the rest of them, but was not a sympathetic character at all.

For the most part this book kept me pretty glued to it despite the fact that I found the characters lacking in certain ways. I only felt it dragged a couple of times. If you like this genre then you may love it, but ultimately this wasn't really my thing. Sorry not really into the zombie apocalypse thing. I was not that crazy about the way it ended either. If it had ended differently I may have liked it a lot more. I feel like I need something happier to read next.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment